Railways undertakes transportation of animals such as elephants, horses, mules, sheep, goats, dogs and other animals and birds. In fact, when it comes to transportation of pet dogs, train is always considered the preferred mode of transport.
What’s the norm for dogs?
Passengers have the option of carrying dogs along with them in first AC accommodation or it can be booked as luggage in luggage-cum-brake van under the supervision of the train manager or guard of the train.
Norms for taking dogs with passengers:
1) The passenger concerned must book accommodation in AC-first class or first class in 2-berth coupe or 4-berth cabin exclusively so that the passenger(s) can travel along with the pet dog. Passengers not in possession of AC-first class/ first class Cabin/ Coupe tickets are not permitted to carry their pet dogs along with them during journey. Pet dogs are not allowed to be carried in any other class of accommodation other than AC-first class and first class.
2) Only one dog will be allowed per Passenger Name Record (PNR).
3) The dog must be brought to the luggage office for booking atleast 3 hours in advance of the departure of the train, whether the passenger hold PRS ticket or online ticket booked through IRCTC.
3) Prescribed charges in luggage rates as applicable will be collected for the pet dogs to be carried along with the passenger in AC first class/ first class coupe.
4) Dogs are not allowed to be carried in AC 2 tier, AC 3 tier, AC Chair Car, Sleeper Class and Second Class Compartments.
5) If fellow passengers subsequently object to the dog remaining in the compartment, it will be removed to the guard’s van, no refund is given.
6) If a passenger is caught carrying dogs without proper booking, penalty will be levied. Owner of the dog will be charged at six times Scale-L luggage rates subject to a minimum of Rs.30 by Indian Railways.
7) Doctor’s certificate clearly mentioning the breed, colour and gender of the pet dog is mandatory for booking.
8) Passengers will be solely responsible for the safe carriage of dogs. Owners should make their own arrangements for water and food for the dog during the journey.
Puppies in basket:
Puppies can be carried in basket in all the classes of accommodation. Passenger carrying the puppies in basket should hold a confirmed ticket and valid proof of identity. Prescribed luggage charges as applicable will be levied for booking. Doctor’s certificate clearly mentioning the breed, colour and gender of the puppies is mandatory. The passenger will be solely responsible for safe carriage of puppies in basket.
In Brake Van
The passengers can book their pet dogs for carriage in the dog-box available in luggage-cum-brake van, under the supervision of the train manager (guard) of the train. Only one dog will be allowed in a dog-box at a time.
The passenger must hold a confirmed reserved ticket (for journey in the train in which his pet dog is booked) and proof of identity.
The dog must be taken to the luggage office, atleast 3 hrs in advance of the departure of the train.
Prescribed charges in luggage rate will be collected for dog booking. The receipt (guard’s foil) so obtained should be submitted to the guard of the train at the originating station.
At the destination station the passenger foil of the receipt must be produced to the guard.
It is the responsibility of the passenger to provide drinking water and food (biscuits etc) for the dog traveling in brake van.
Doctor’s certificate clearly mentioning the breed, colour and gender of the pet dog is mandatory for booking.
Liability of Railways:
Railways will not be responsible for the loss, destruction, damage, deterioration or non-delivery of animals after the termination of transit.